An advert in the local paper alerted me to the Springfield Uketopians. A ukulele group which meet in a local cafe.

I had played the ukulele at school but then moved onto the guitar. So having decided to try again I needed a ukulele. The School one was now some 60 years old and too fragile for daily use.  This is the result.  After a few tries I found the chords confusing. Whilst they are the same shape as guitar chords they have different names (different tuning). The guitar chord of G is C on the ukulele. One way out of this was to get a baritone ukulele. These are tuned the same as the top four strings of a guitar. So Ebay once again produced a result. Cheap this time because the electrics did not work. (Pickup unglued and a dry joint)

However, I know think that was the coward’s way out and I’m back with a standard tuning ukulele. The new one is a Lanikai Koa, concert size. This time though it has a wider nut than normal which will help in the chords. It was cheap because the nut, saddle and machine heads were missing, but I did get a gig bag and clip on tuner!  I have added the missing parts and included an under saddle pickup.

Clearly I have the Ukulele bug as I am aiming to get a complete set. I actually brought a soprano uke with nothing missing!  It came with a gig bag an after a little fettle it plays nicely.  A Craig’s list purchase resulted in a baritone Uke in two pieces. The neck and body were apart. Careful re-gluing and a fettle results in a surprisingly deep tone.  I shall be selling the pineapple baritone.

I have found that three coats of Tung Oil really bring out the wood without a high shine.

Ukuleles